International students are eligible and highly encouraged to participate in Early Fall Start! As an international student, you’ll have the chance to:
- Become familiar with college life and routines
- Make friends with other new students
- Work on your English language and writing skills
- Earn five credits and get a head start on academics
International students can register for any Early Fall Start course. However, students should select the right course for their language abilities.
There are two types of courses to choose from:
- English language and writing courses help prepare you for college-level study by improving essential reading, writing and communication skills.
- Discovery Seminars are intensive arts and sciences courses that offer an in-depth exploration of a specific subject.
English Language Proficiency Requirement
By action of the Faculty Council on Academic Standards, the English Language Proficiency Requirement (ELPR) is suspended for new first-year and transfer students admitted for summer 2021 or later.
Important Travel and Immigration Dates
For autumn 2021, Early Fall Start will be offered remotely and students may participate from outside the U.S. First-year students participating in Early Fall Start should use their autumn quarter I-20 to enter the U.S. There is no separate I-20 or different start date for students taking Early Fall Start courses.
International first-year students should not travel to the U.S. early to participate in EFS. The start date for all first-year students with an autumn quarter initial I-20 is September 29, 2021, which means you may enter the U.S. using the autumn quarter initial I-20 any time on or after August 30. If you will receive a transfer pending I-20 from the UW, you are exempt from the 30-day entry requirement and you may return to the U.S. at any time.
The official start date for all international first-year students enrolling at the UW is September 29, 2021, which means you will be able to enter the United States beginning August 30, 2021. Please make your travel plans accordingly.